Thursday, September 23, 2010

Game Rooooom

Rachel Tiep Daniels' new venture (apart from a stellar job at Blue Sky Studios, and her Picture Book Project Foundation) in helping out others in need is Art Blocks for Ghana. Here is a Start to Finish on my submission...Her concept for these pieces was simply enough, "home." Since my family life has so much of the gaming world in it these days, I wondered what adolescent critter would really cause a pain in the butt by bringing in a contemporary, whole new game room to its own, "home?"

The pencils are always layers of tracing paper, rough, and very ugly!


But thanks to my iPad, I'm not pinned down to a lightbox anymore. I take an initial scan/pic of an approximate pencil I like, and then layer and layer these things until I'm somewhat happy.


A bit more from the iPad, then I printed out a piece.

But the print, in a much lighter version, gave me a chance to put a template over which to trace over the piece with a sheet of graphite transfer paper below...giving me a nice beginning linework directly on the 10" X 10" block.



...Seen below.


One pass with acrylics.


and the help of some pens, pencils and additional smudges. Finished piece also here and up for auction, see Rachel's blog for details.

No comments: